Loch Lee (from the Gaelic, Loch Lighe – the loch of the flood place) is a loch in Glenesk, Angus, Scotland south of the Grampian Mountains that is fed by the Water of Lee and the Water of Unich and flows into the River North Esk. Queen Victoria described it as “a wild but not large lake, closed in by mountains, with a farm-house and a few cottages at its edge”.
Loch Lee, set in a deep glacial trench, serves as a reservoir and has been enlarged by a dam at its north east end, close to the old church and grave yard. This first church was replaced by one or more successors on the same site, the most recent built some time around 1600. Little now remains of this church, though the kirkyard has some interesting gravestones.
Lying at an altitude of 880 feet above sea-level, it has an utmost length and breadth of 9 and 21/3 furlongs; has boats on its waters; and contains char and fine trout. The Water of Lee, rising at an altitude of 2650 feet, winds 6 ½ miles east-by-southward to its head, and from its foot proceeds 1¼ mile east-by-northward till, at Invermark, it unites with the Water of Mark to form the river North Esk.
Loch Lee is about ten-minute walk from House of Mark.
Place type: Inland Water
Location: Grid Ref: NO 4217 7959 • X/Y co-ords: 342171, 779595 • Lat/Long: 56.9041,-2.95114686
County/Unitary Authority: Angus